Skip to main content

Ketchup Graffiti (Or Almost Two!)




Lando is almost two years old. TWO! It makes the most  nauseating  of maternal  figures to repeat that as oft as I do, but two  years! How!  Does this make me a real mom now?

I'm still sort through all of that--this real mom gig. But suffice it to say, I've loved year two so much more than the first year. Infants are...terrifying, exhausting, and needy.  Oh so needy.  They can't walk, talk, or grab snacks out of the fridge. (They also can't raid your wallet for dollar bills. Thanks, child.)

Happening live! 
I've come to grips with mama anxiety, that gripping worry that reminds a mother that the world is the most dangerous oyster ever. Properly installed carseats, an eagle eye, and accepting that billions of children have survived toddlerhood  keeps the worry at a relatively sane level. But it's still there, and always will be. There are many poignant tomes written about a mother's love and dedication, so I won't wax poetic about that. However, there's a magical terror when you  realize that your heart has expanded in order to be able to wrap itself around a little, precious human. It leaves a person wretchedly vulnerable, but so full of painfully intense love.

And then your toddler bites your butt and pulls you from that ethereal plane back to a messy kitchen  with  ketchup decorating the floor.

But amid the ketchup graffiti (and egg cracking-ahem) there's  been watching the Barney counting episode to learn how to "count" to ten, which has entirely lost its luster now that its a mandatory part of the day. There's been the progression from potato baby, to sitting dumping, to crawling roly poly, to toddling mini toddler, and now full fledged two year old with a bent for destruction. And while I had the best intentions of weaning him at that oft-touted one year mark, I failed miserably at that. Well, would have failed if I tried. He'll be a two year old nursling and I will wean him--at some point.



How we feel about weaning.
(Blurry pic because paranoid.)

But one of the great gifts this large domed child o' mine has given his mama? The desire, will, and discipline to drop down to a happy Susie size. Weight isn't everything, and I'm the last person to think that being skinny > more attractive. But health is a real thing, and being "sphere-shaped" (thank you, candid brother) was making motherhood and every aspect of my life less awesome. And who wishes for that? I've lost two Landons so far, and have a little more to go--if I can push past this cookie plateau. (I literally eat too many cookies--that's my cookie plateau.)

So welcome two years old, with all your toddler craziness and tantrums. I welcome the chance to chase you more, relish holding you tight, and teaching you (along with Barney) the wonders and working of this world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing Your Religion

  I  used to see religion as a warm, safe place.   It was somewhere that created a routine, a social network, and a place of belonging.   Oh, and we were right. About everything. And that’s a great feeling, being right.  Never having to doubt.  Knowing my neighbor was wrong, but I was right.  It was strange how every other religion was Oh So Wrong.  So clear how they hurt other people. So obvious that the adherents were worshiping themselves, rather than a god.  And then I..changed.  They’d say that I fell away. The people in the pews. Because I was no longer convinced that I was better than others.  That I could be cruel, selfish, vain, and legalistic, and it was okay if I sat in a pew on Sunday. In fact, I could doubt and wonder and process as much as I needed, if I kept mindlessly repeating the same tropes as everyone in the pew. Recite the same Bible verses. Sit in the same seat. Drink the same bad coffee. Go to the same Bible studies. Rinse and repeat.  That was faith. That was al

Why we don't believe in Santa Clause

It's happened many times this Christmas season. A well meaning adult will come up to my four year old in a public space and gleefully ask him what Santa Clause/Father Christmas is bringing him this year. And each and every time, my son cocks his head to side and clearly announces, "Santa isn't REAL." The reactions vary - there's shock, confusion, and even a bit of bemusement. Yes, Santa isn't real, but my four year old isn't supposed to know that. We've taught him to say "Santa isn't real at MY house," when other children are around, keeping the excitement alive for his friends and classmates. Despite that, plenty of Christmas time threads on mommy forums insist that parents like us are ruining Christmas, not only for our own children but for theirs. Even still, my four year old knows all about Santa and has asked for an Elf on the Shelf. (That's a no from me, son.) Most of the time he's content to muse aloud on the logistics

To Scotland we went!

Hiya, blog! I've taken a bit of a hiatus. Her name is Nova. Now that the first trimester is almost finished--she's 12 weeks tomorrow--I'm mostly back to my regularly scheduled programming. I won't be fully back until we night wean, but who knows how many months or (prayerfully NOT) years that will be. This week,  took our family of four on Nova's first trip. And where did we go? Scotland! I have an extremely detailed, careful way of picking out destinations and planning trips--not. My method is simply to pick something easy and go with it. I chose Scotland because UK, yay, and who doesn't want to go to Scotland. Edinburgh was our destination because all we had to do was drive to Peterborough, hop on a train, and boom, we would be there. (I'm skipping over the agony of driving, finding parking, hauling children, and all the gross, gritty, exhausting parts of travel. But don't fret, that part definitely happened.) The train ride there wen